Environmentally preferred purchasing (EPP) means practicing pollution prevention when making new purchases. Several EPP strategies are:
- buying only what you intend to use
- buying in bulk
- avoiding extensive packaging
- buying locally
- buying least hazardous products (cleaners, paints, etc.)
- looking for products with high post consumer recycled content!
- buying re-manufactured and factory reconditioned
Why buy recycled?
- Saves natural resources: products from recycled materials reduce the strain on extraction and refinement of virgin materials.
- Saves energy: usually less energy is needed to manufacture recycled products; recycling aluminum into usable stock requires 95% less energy than making new aluminum from bauxite ore.
- Saves clean air and water: less refinement of materials also means, in most cases, that less air and water pollution is created.
- Saves landfill space: materials that go back into new products are diverted from landfills.
- Saves money and creates jobs: recycling processes creates far more jobs than landfills or incinerators.
State Based Links
Product Specific Links