February 16, 2001
INFORMATION LINKS FOR C&D WASTE
Learning about construction waste is a matter of
diving in and sorting through the loads of information available
There is a lot of information available electronically regarding construction waste and
construction waste recycling. The following categorized list provides links to sites that
can help you develop, improve or advertise your program:
Sustainable Business.com: The Center for
Environmental Business on the Web
"Sustainable Busines.com is a focal point on the Web for the full range of
environmental business sectors. from recycling to green building, from renewable energy to
organic products, from social investing to certified forestry. We supply information and
connection to accelerate momentum toward a green economy. We seek to inspire you and fill
you with a can do attitude."
- - http://www.sustainablebusiness.com
- Global Recycling Network
- "GRN is a free-access public site dedicated to recycling related information. We
offer all companies involved in the Recycling Industry a wide exposure through: Web
Publishing Services, Online Sales and Catalogs, and Advertising."
- - http://www.grn.com.home.html
- Florida Center for Solid and Hazardous
Waste Management HOME PAGE
- "The Center's mission is to coordinate and engage in research, training and service
activities relating to solid and hazardous waste management issues."
- - http://www.eng.ufl.edu/home/fcshwm/
- Environmental Building News - Your Guide to Green
- "Environmental Building News - Our articles, reviews, and news stories are a prime
resource on energy efficient, resource-efficient, and healthy building practices. We
address material selection, siting, indoor air quality, daylighting, and other subjects
related to green building products."
- - http://www.ebuild.com/
- NAHB Research Center: Advancing Technology in Housing
- National Association of Homebuilders Research Center with information on Construction
Waste Recycling programs.
- - http://www.nahbrc.org/content.htm
- Sustainable Building
- "The Austin Green Building Program was recognized at the 1992 Earth Summit by the
United Nations Local Government Honours Programme as one of 12 exemplary local government
initiatives from around the world, and was the only program recognized from the United
States. Their Sustainable Building Sourcebook has become a popular resource for
alternative builders around the world. In early 1994 the Green Building Program and
Sustainable Sources agreed to make the Sourcebook available in electronic format through
our Sustainable Sources BBS, an Austin based bulletin board service. The Program was
looking for a way to get this information out to a wider audience in Austin and to make it
available to people outside of the Austin area without spending their time and energy
marketing it. Shortly thereafter, we also converted the Sourcebook to the Web. This has
been a win-win setup: The Green Building Program wins, as their info is disseminated with
little extra effort and no extra expense, and builders and homeowners like you win by
getting web access to detailed guidelines and resources on topics that can otherwise be
hard to find."
- - http://www2.starlitehospital.com/Sourcebook/contents.html
- "The US Green Building Council is the building industry's only balanced nonprofit
consensus coalition promoting the understanding, development and accelerated
implementation of "Green Building" policies, programs, technologies, standards
and design practices."
- - http://www.usgbc.org/
- Green Building Resource Guide
- "The Green Building Resource Guide is a database of over 600 green building
products selected specifically for their usefulness to the design and building
professions, rather than merely their green material content. A feature unique to this
guide is the Price Index Number. You can order the Green Building Resource Guide in two
forms: a reference manual or a CD-ROM database. The CD-ROM interface is easy to use and
reflects the way an architect typically works. The Green Building Resource Guide is
designed around four user interfaces familiar to architects: Site Plan, Elevation, Floor
Plan, and Section."
- Info Resources for
Environmental Building -- Green Prints '99
- "Information Resources for Environmental Building Presented at Greenprints,
- - http://www.nrg-builder.com/greenprints99/index.htm
- "GreenClips, a summary of news on sustainable building design and related
government and business issues published every two weeks by email."
- - http://www.greendesign.net/greenclips/index.html
- Center of Excellence for
Sustainable Development: Green Buildings Introduction
"Green building practices offer an opportunity to create environmentally-sound and
resource-efficient buildings by using an integrated approach to design. The entire
life-cycle of the building and its components is considered, as well as the economic and
environmental impact and performance."
Construction Waste Management
- Information on Construction Waste Management from the United States Department of
Energy. "The amount of waste from construction projects can be as high as 15% of all
materials used in the project. The percentage of construction and demolition (C&D)
waste volume in a typical municipal landfill in the United States is estimated to exceed
25%. Increasing tipping fees and diminishing landfill space are direct consequences of
C&D waste production. Wastes that contain nondegradable substances create long-term
hazards to both human health and the health of the ecosystem. Reducing waste lowers
disposal costs and lowers the amount of new materials required by 10% to 15%. It offers
opportunities for recovering costs from the sale of recyclable and salvaged materials.
Waste reduction occurs through design and planning of construction operations, including
- - http://www.eren.doe.gov/femp/greenfed/5.0/5_3_construct_waste_manage.htm
- National Solid Waste Management Association
- "A sub-group of Environmental Industry Associations that represents for-profit
companies in North America providing solid, hazardous and medical waste collection,
recycling and disposal services, remedial and oil spill clean-ups, and companies providing
professional and consulting services to the industry."
- - http://www.envasns.org/nswma/
- SWANA Home
Solid Waste Association of North America. SWANA's Mission: "Advancing the
practice of economically and environmentally sound solid waste management in North
- - http://www.swana.org/
- The California Integrated Waste Management Board.
- "The California Integrated Waste Management Board is responsible for managing
California's solid waste stream. The Board is helping California divert 50 percent of its
waste from landfills by 2000 by: 1) Developing waste reduction programs, 2) Providing
public education and outreach, 3) Assisting local governments and businesses, 4) Fostering
market development for recyclable materials."
- - http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling
- "Disposal of construction and demolition (C&D) debris wastes resources and
shortens the life of landfills. In 1990, 46 of California's 530 jurisdictions reported
C&D tonnage as a separate category in the solid waste stream. Their reported figures
ranged from 0 to 55 percent, and averaged to 28 percent. The Board identified C&D
debris waste as a priority program in its market development plan Meeting the 50 Percent
Challenge: Market Development Strategies Through the Year 2000. Reduction of C&D
materials to landfill disposal will help meet California's mandated diversion goal of 50
percent by 2000."
- - http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/ConDemo/
- Solstice: Sustainable Energy and
- "Solstice is the Internet information service of the Center for Renewable Energy
and Sustainable Technology (CREST), and is your site for Sustainable Energy and
- - http://solstice.crest.org/index.shtm
- Oikos: Green Building Source Energy Efficient
Construction Environmentally Responsible Building Green Building Materials
- "Books, videos and software that will help your construction projects harmonize
with the environment. You can't build without materials and equipment. Search the database
of 1,800 companies for green building products."
- - http://www.oikos.com/
- Welcome to the Forest Products Laboratory
- "The Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) in Madison, Wisconsin, serves the public as
the nation's leading wood research institute. Research concentrates on pulp and paper
products, housing and structural uses of wood, wood preservation, wood and fungi
identification, and finishing and restoration of wood products. In addition to traditional
lines of research, FPL is responding to environmental pressures on the forest resource by
using cutting-edge techniques to study recycling, develop environmentally friendly
technology, and understand ecosystem-based forest management."
- - http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/
- Green Building Primer© B.E.S.T.
- "Green Buildings are really resource efficient buildings and are very energy
efficient, utilize construction materials wisely -- including recycled, renewable, and
reused resources to the maximum extent practical -- are designed, constructed and
commissioned to ensure they are healthy for their occupants, are typically more
comfortable and easier to live with due to lower operating and owning costs, and are good
for the planet. The overall environmental impact of new building and community development
and the choices made when we either reuse or demolish existing structures is very
important. Hundreds of professional home builders have learned how to make their products
better for the environment over the last 20 years, and consumers are now able to find
better environmental value when they shop for a new home, or conduct a remodeling project.
This information should help you learn more about what to look for in a home that is more
environmentally sensitive. If you are a builder unfamiliar with the simple approach to
green building, this material should give you a starting point for further exploration of
the topic, and a better ability to ask the right questions."
- - http://www.nrg-builder.com/greenbld.htm
Architecture, Sustainable Buildings, Reuse and Recycling of Building Materials
"This page describes current and future documents in our Sustainable Architecture
Compendium. As finished documents are published for each of the five modules, we will make
them available here. Currently, final editions of the entire Introductory, Sustainable
Design, Sustainable Building Materials, and Recycling and Reuse modules are available
- - http://www.umich.edu/~nppcpub/resources/compendia/architecture.html
- Construction and
Demolition Debris Salvage Program with Depots
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality "Factsheet: Construction and Demolition
Debris Salvage Program with Depots."
- - http://www.deq.state.or.us/wmc/solwaste/rrccddebris.html
- ReDO - Reuse Development Organization, Inc. - Making More
Reuse Happen Faster!
- "ReDO was created to fill an informational void identified at a February 1995
conference on reuse, where participants voiced a desire to "avoid reinventing the
wheel" and share what they have learned. ReDO's Board of Directors includes national
leaders who have operated model reuse efforts that recover thousands of tons of building
materials, equipment, furniture, food, and industrial materials. Board members represents
both urban and rural program expertise."
- - http://www.redo.org/
- The Clean Washington Centers Construction Waste Briefs.
- - http://www.cwc.org/briefs/construction.html
- GARBAGE LINKS
- Garbology Related Sites.
- - http://www.garbology.com/links.htm
- Recycling World
- "The main articles from Recycling World magazine are published regularly on the
internet, with a paper edition printed every two weeks. Each issue includes the following
sections: Comment - this month's view of what's going on in recycling; Newsdesk -
the latest news from the recycling industry; Features - more detailed articles on current
topics affecting UK recycling; Prices - Latest prices for recyclable materials"
- - http://www.tecweb.com/recycle/rwcont.htm
- Solid Waste Online: Virtual community for the waste
- - http://www.solidwaste.com/
- Recycling Today Magazine
- - http://www.recyclingtoday.com/
- C&D Recycler Magazine
- - http://www.cdrecycler.com/
- "WasteAge.com serves private contracting firms, governmental entities, consulting
engineers, industrial plants, retailing firms and hospitals, as well as equipment dealers,
distributors, manufacturers and other allied to the waste industry."
- - http://www.wasteage.com/
- "The following list of publications covers books, reports, handbooks, manuals,
magazines, journals and newsletters containing information related to waste avoidance and
resource recovery in the construction and demolition sectors. Whilst some of the documents
specifically cover C&D, others contain regular columns, features and announcements
about relevant industry and government initiatives. Some of the following publications can
be accessed or ordered directly via the Web. In most other cases, the publisher's contact
details are provided in the Organizations section of onSITE."
- - http://onsite.rmit.edu.au/info/infopub.htm
Society and Culture : Environment and Nature : Waste Management
- - http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Environment_and_Nature/Waste_Management/
- Welcome to Recycle City!
- Recycling Information for kids.
- - http://www.epa.gov/recyclecity/
- Earth's 911
- "The uniqueness of Earths 911 is the Partnership. Never before has an
environmental program been created where non-profit organizations, public sector agencies
and private sector corporations join resources to effect change for our planet. Through
this public service, resources on universally accepted, non-partisan environmental issues,
are made available to the general public at no cost to the user. This Partnership
through the consolidation of community specific information, saves taxpayers millions of
dollars annually and saves billions of dollars in pollution prevention. Earth's 911 is
empowering citizens with the resources to improve their quality of life and to preserve
our natural resources for future generations. Together, we are Making Everyday Earth
- - http://www.1800cleanup.org/default.asp
- P2West | Western Region Pollution
- - http://www.westp2net.org/green.htm
Waste Management Handbook
- "The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Research Center, with funding
from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, is investigating residential construction
waste management. At three sites across the country, the Research Center is working with
builders, waste management firms, local and state solid waste officials, and building
product manufacturers on waste reduction, reuse, and recycling of common construction
waste materials. The Homestead Habitat for Humanity (HHFH) Jordan Commons development is
an ideal housing project for the demonstration of alternatives to conventional
construction waste disposal for two primary reasons. First, the emphasis on
resource-efficiency in the design, construction, and operation of the homes of Jordan
Commons makes the construction waste management program an important and integral element
of the overall project. Second, the overall size of the project-187 homes plus community
common holdings-provides the opportunity for significant economies of scale in the
collection, separation, and marketing of recovered materials. The objectives of the Jordan
Commons construction waste management program are to maximize material recovery, minimize
waste, and reduce total waste management costs on a per-house basis."
- - http://www.smartgrowth.org/library/constwastemgmt_hndbk.html
- Directory of Recycled Content Building and
- - http://www.cwc.org
Buy Recycled Business Alliance
National Recycling Coalition
1101 30th Street N.W. Suite 305
Washington D.C. 20007
Resource Guide to Recycled Construction Products
Los Angeles Integrated Solid Waste Management Office
433 South Spring Street, Fifth Floor,
Los Angeles, CA
Guide to Recycled Products
600 NE. Grand Avenue,
Portland, OR 97232
Buy Recycled Campaign
United States Conference of Mayors
1620 Eye Street N.W.
Washington D.C. 20006
The Official Recycled Products Guide
The American Recycling Markets, Inc.
P.O. Box 577
Ogdensburg, NY 13669