February 16, 2001
GYPSUM DRYWALL RECYCLING
Gypsum drywall is the second most common component of the construction waste stream,
especially new residential construction. It is made with gypsum that is covered on both
sides with a paper facing and paperboard backing. Approximately 12% of new construction
drywall is wasted during construction.
Re-uses for Gypsum Drywall Include:
- Recycling it into new drywall after most of the paper is removed
- Grinding up the drywall and using the gypsum for sewage sludge drying
- Grinding it up and applying it to roadways to counteract the adverse effects of road
salt application in the winter
- Using it as a soil amendment for gardens and lawns
- Using it as an odor treatment for animal manure
Grinding equipment can range from a large plant to a small mobile chipper. A
hammer-mill is often used to produce a product that is approximately 90% gypsum and 10%
shredded paper. Drywall recycling produces dust, therefore a baghouse or air vacuum system
may be required to handle the air emissions. This type of equipment can be retrofitted for
a particular application or purchased as a package unit.
Gypsum Recycling Links:
- Andela Pulverizer Equipment
- "Andela Tool & Machine, Inc. produces a growing line of rugged, versatile
machines to serve special needs that are sold worldwide. Each product is thoughtfully
designed and engineered to provide a high capacity to cost ratio and superior
- - http://www.recycle.net/andela/
- Mineral Recycling -
Gypsum and Drywall Recycling Category
- The Following Grades are Included in the Gypsum and Drywall Recycling Category: Mixed
Drywall Scrap; New Drywall Trimmings; Recovered Drywall Gypsum; Gyp-Chip; Powdered Gypsum;
Fine Powdered Gypsum; Ultra Fine Powdered Gypsum; Other Gypsum Scrap.
- - http://recycle.net/recycle/Minerals/gypsum/index.html
- Gyp-Pack Container, Inc.
"Gyp-Pack Container, Inc.'s primary objective is to be a world leader in the
recycling of scrap gypsum board. The company's goal is to license exclusive territories
for the use of the recycling machinery and/or technology throughout the world.
- - http://www.gyp-pack.com/